Frequently Asked Questions
If your event involves the sale or use of alcohol, you must provide a copy of your liquor liability insurance to the Park Office, two weeks in advance of the event.
Sioux Falls City Council passed an ordinance in May 2017 regarding tobacco use on city property. Smoking is prohibited at Special Events unless the event planner designates a defined area, which would require approval from the Director of Parks and Recreation.
To establish a Smoking/Tobacco-free event, please refer to the Breathe Well Event Toolkit for Hosting Smoke/Tobacco-Free Events on City Property at www.siouxfalls.org/specialevents.
Approved special events in parks are smoke-free unless the event requests a designated smoking area, which is subject to approval from the Director of Parks and Recreation.
Requesting a designated smoking area, the event planner will be required to:
- Minimize public exposure to second hand smoke.
- Define smoking area; including a detailed map.
- Provide ample signage and perimeter markers.
- Responsible for providing high volume receptacles.
- Responsible for clean-up of the designated smoking area.
A special event permit is not required for events that take place on private property. Depending on the nature of the event, various permits may be required including the following:
- If you will have food sales please contact the Health Department for a Health Permit at 605-367-8760.
- If you will have tents over 1,000 square feet, a Canopy/Tent Permit is required from the SF Fire Rescue at 605-367-8093.
- If you are using amplified sound you must adhere to the City’s noise ordinance regarding hours of amplified sound and sound decibel limitations. For a Sound Permit contact the Health Department at 605-367-8760.