Frequently Asked Questions

Events that are open to the general public and take place within the public right-of-way or are located within a park would be coordinated through the special event permit process. Typically, these events require permits, licenses and approvals from several City departments depending on the size and nature of the special event.
Complete the online application for hosting an event on City property.
The application process open mid to late November for the upcoming year. Returning events will have first right of refusal on their time, date and location.
The minimum permit process is 60 days. For larger events a minimum processing time of four to six months is suggested. Once you submit your forms, we will contact you if additional time may be necessary due to the logistical requirements of your event.
Once a completed application is submitted, it is reviewed for compatibility in the master calendar.
Once you receive you receipt, you my begin advertising your date, time and location. If you are hosting a walk, run or marathon, we ask that you do not post your route until after you have approval to do so or until after you have met with the special event committee.
Yes. All events require insurance coverage in the amounts listed below. Insurance coverage must be maintained for the duration of the event.
If amplified or elevated sound is needed for your event, you must apply for the necessary permit. No permit is required if amplified sound is for a private event lasting one (1) hour or less or for religious organization conducting a worship service. Additional fees apply.
A special one-day license approved by the City Council pursuant to SDCL 35‑4‑124 is required. Additional fees apply.

If your event involves the sale or use of alcohol, you must provide a copy of your liquor liability insurance to the Park Office, two weeks in advance of the event.

Street Closure/Parade Authorization Permit

Sioux Falls City Council passed an ordinance in May 2017 regarding tobacco use on city property. Smoking is prohibited at Special Events unless the event planner designates a defined area, which would require approval from the Director of Parks and Recreation.

To establish a Smoking/Tobacco-free event, please refer to the Breathe Well Event Toolkit for Hosting Smoke/Tobacco-Free Events on City Property at

Approved special events in parks are smoke-free unless the event requests a designated smoking area, which is subject to approval from the Director of Parks and Recreation.

Requesting a designated smoking area, the event planner will be required to:

  • Minimize public exposure to second hand smoke.
  • Define smoking area; including a detailed map.
  • Provide ample signage and perimeter markers.
  • Responsible for providing high volume receptacles.
  • Responsible for clean-up of the designated smoking area.
Costs will vary depending on the size and nature of your event and will be calculated following a review of your completed application. If you need additional days for setup, breakdown, or other areas of the park need to be reserved as part of your event to guarantee the safety of either your participants or general park users, there will be additional fees.
Permits will be available for pickup at the City Center the Wednesday prior to the event date. Permits must be paid upon receipt.
Yes. However the food truck will need a point of sale permit to vendor in a City Park.

A special event permit is not required for events that take place on private property. Depending on the nature of the event, various permits may be required including the following:

  • If you will have food sales please contact the Health Department for a Health Permit at 605-367-8760.
  • If you will have tents over 1,000 square feet, a Canopy/Tent Permit is required from the SF Fire Rescue at 605-367-8093.
  • If you are using amplified sound you must adhere to the City’s noise ordinance regarding hours of amplified sound and sound decibel limitations. For a Sound Permit contact the Health Department at 605-367-8760.
Please send email to or call 605-367-8218.