8th Street Bridge Rehabilitation and Greenway Improvements
Project Update 6/26/2020
Due to COVID-19, weekly meetings will not be open to the public. If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to the project team.
- The causeway has being relocated to span 2 for removals.
- Concrete repairs along 8th St has begun.
- Work is expected to be completed in the middle of August.
- Contractor continues to perform hand removals on the top part of the arches and has begun contract patching those repair areas.
- Shotcrete application continues in span 1.
- Road and bike trail closures and detours begin
- Removals of the surfacing work
- Private utility relocation
- Construction of bridge access roads and cofferdams
- Bridge fill removal
- Bridge rehabilitation improvements
- Concrete repairs along 8th Street
- Private utility placement
- Bridge fill placement
- Open roadway
- Greenway and bike trail improvements
- Final project completion
Commuter Route Information:
- 8th St bridge closed to both pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- The bike path under the bridge will also be closed.
- Please use the designated detour route.
- Vehicular detour routes include Phillips Ave, 6th St, and Weber Ave or Main Ave, 11th St, and Franklin Ave.
- Pedestrian detour route includes Phillips Ave, 9th St, crossing the river on the pedestrian bridge then through Hilton Garden Inn path which connects to the bike path.
- The river is also be closed to canoe/kayaking.
- A portage has been installed upstream of the bridge.
Meeting Date: 11/11/2019
Final completion of work is August 28, 2021
This project includes rehabilitation of the 8th Street bridge, watermain replacement, alley and Greenway improvements, sidewalk improvements, bridge lighting and construction of concrete street surfacing and concrete patching.
City of Sioux Falls
Infrastructure Design Group
SFC Civil Constructors
A Journey Group Company