Sustainability Essay Contest for High School Juniors and Seniors in Sioux Falls
- Go to siouxfalls.org/sustainability. Read about the deﬁnition of sustainability and the six focus areas of the Sustainability Master Plan: 1) Transportation and Land Use, 2) Energy and Buildings, 3) Natural Systems, 4) Materials Management and Waste, 5) Sustainable Economy, and 6) Community Vitality and Sustainable Living. This will provide important background information.
- Answer the following prompt in your essay:
It is the year 2040, and the City of Sioux Falls has just been named the Most Sustainable City in the nation. What are the most important things our city has done in the past 20 years to achieve this huge accomplishment? How have we done them? Why did they make such an impact?
Essays should be 1,000–1,500 words and address ideas that could be applied at the city or community level. Futuristic thinking is encouraged. The deadline for submission is Friday April 30, 2021. Remember to cite any information obtained from outside sources. Writers can choose their citation style (e.g., MLA, APA, etc.).
- Junior or senior in high school
- Live in Sioux Falls or attend high school in Sioux Falls
Entries will be judged on insight into subject, development and support of ideas, organization, style, and grammar and mechanics.
One essay winner will be selected from each grade. Winners will be notiﬁed in May, and each receive a $250 scholarship and mention on the City of Sioux Falls website. Winners will be also be announced on siouxfalls.org/sustainability in May.
Essays will be reviewed for themes, concerns, and ideas that can be incorporated into the Sustainability Master Plan. Even if you don’t win, your voice will help inform our future community!
Essay requirements and submission information:
- Typed and double spaced, with essay title at the top
- Written in English
- Submitted as a shared Google doc or Microsoft Word ﬁle
- 1,000–1,500 words
- Focused on Sioux Falls community Submit essay to firstname.lastname@example.org
- SUBJECT LINE: Sustainability Essay Contest
- BODY OF EMAIL: Your name, grade, email address, and preferred phone number
- Deadline for submission: Friday April 30, 2021
If you have questions, contact email@example.com or 605-367-8280.
Download Sustainability Essay Contest