A reward for being a good neighbor
Overhaul Before Fall is an annual competition for homeowners and their neighborhood to be recognized for home improvement projects that promotes a strong sense of community.
Hayward Addition was selected as the featured neighborhood for 2022. Homeowners in this neighborhood are eligible to be awarded one of three grants:
- Greatest Overall Transformation ($2,500)
This grant will be awarded to the applicant who is able to create the biggest overall improvements to their home.
- Neighborhood Comradery ($1,500)
This grant will be awarded to the applicant who displays the most neighborhood involvement working collaboratively to keep up their home. Are you able to serve a neighbor by helping them with a project or two?
- Weekend Warrior Project ($500)
This grant is designed to award the smaller project that make a huge impact on keeping our neighborhoods looking nice. Any improvements made should be celebrated and there is no such thing as a project that is too small.
Typical home maintenance projects can be submitted, with examples including (but not limited to):
- New siding
- New windows
- Entry doors
- Tree trimming and yard clean-up
- Bathroom repairs
- Rebuild an existing deck
- New driveway and/or sidewalk
- Rebuild your mailbox
- New gutters and downspouts
The submission deadline is Thursday, September 22, 2022. The City of Sioux Falls Housing Division will select projects based on their merits after reviewing submitted proposals. After the final decisions are made, a staff member will notify grant winners of their award.
For questions, contact housing specialist Seth Peterson by emailing email@example.com or calling the City of Sioux Falls Housing Division at 605-367-8180 and ask about the Overhaul Before Fall program.
- Applications will only be accepted from Homeowners and/or registered rental property owners within the Hayward Addition. Tenants of a rental property do not qualify. There are no income limits for this program and the program will be open to all residents that live in the Hayward Addition.
- Homeowners may complete their own work on the residence if proper permitting is done, or hire a licensed contractor to perform the work.
- All work performed must follow International Residential Codes and comply with City of Sioux Falls, building inspections as required.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Project closeout requirements
- Projects must be complete and application submitted by September 22, 2022.
- No exceptions made for late submissions.
- Digital photos of all projects are required with final submittal of work completed.
- Selected projects will be promoted as the Grant Award recipient in one of the categories listed.
- Applicants must agree to allow the City of Sioux Falls to use photos at the discretion of the Housing Division.
- Documentation of completed projects including before and after photos must be submitted with an application.
- All projects must adhere to City of Sioux Falls ordinances, and building codes if required. More information is available on the Zoning Division website.