Building Services Permits
Building Services division issues the following permits:
- Building Permit
- Electrical Permits
- Plumbing Permits
- Mechanical Permits
- Rental Housing (Registration)
- Vacant Building (Registration)
- You will need to obtain a building permit PRIOR to beginning any work on your project. Where a contractor is hired to do the work, the homeowner should require the contractor to obtain the permit.
- Most residential permits can be issued within 10-15 minutes while you are in the office.
- Permits must be applied for in person at the Building Services office. Permit Fee Schedules are found in the document from the link on the right.
- The following information typically is necessary to obtain a building permit:
- The address where the work is to be completed.
- The name of the owner of the property.
- The use or occupancy for which the proposed work is intended.
- Description of work to be completed.
- The electrical, plumbing, and mechanical contractors.
- The architect of record and/or the structural engineer of record, if applicable.
- The total valuation of the proposed project.
- If applicable, provide plans, site plan, diagrams, or other data, which adequately describes how the work is to be constructed. Plans shall be drawn to scale and be of sufficient clarity to indicate the nature and extent of the work proposed in order to show it is in compliance with the building code.
- In cases where a new building or a major addition to an existing building are to be constructed, a complete set of plans suitable for review should include:
- Two copies of the site plan
- Foundation plans
- Floor plans
- Roof plans
- Sections and details
- One PDF copy of all plans on CD
Work exempt from permit. Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom grade elevation to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
- Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 18 inches deep.
- Swings and other playground equipment.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
*Call 605-367-8670 if you are unsure if you need to obtain a building permit.