Sioux Falls Continues to Recycle at a High Level
The City of Sioux Falls announced today that the licensed garbage haulers’ recycling rate for 2018 was 23.4 percent, up from 22.8 percent in 2017. This is the region’s highest annual recycling rate for recyclable materials excluding yard waste on record.
Sustainability Coordinator Jessica Sexe states “It is fantastic to see our recycling rate continue to increase, especially given the tremendous challenges facing the global recycling industry. Recycling helps our local economy, saves space in our landfill, and protects our natural resources. It is clear our residents understand the importance of recycling, and we want to thank them for another record-breaking year.”
Recycling rates are calculated by dividing the total amount of recyclables by the total amount of solid waste hauled. By City ordinance, all licensed commercial waste haulers are annually required to achieve the standard of at least 80 percent of the recycling goal. In 2018, the recycling standard was 18.2 percent. Haulers who do not meet the recycling standard receive a surcharge. Haulers with a recycling rate of 34.2 percent or more receive a rebate. All waste haulers’ annual recycling rates are posted on www.siouxfalls.org/green.
The City also announced that the annual recycling goal for 2019 is 23.4 percent.
While the region has experienced an increase in recycling, the City wants to remind residents how to recycle properly. Below are some guidelines to help residents and businesses recycle everything they can.
The City’s recycling guidelines include:
- Do recycle tin and aluminum cans; plastic containers such as bottles, tubs, and jugs; cardboard and cartons; and paper such as newspaper, magazines, and office paper.
- Bag shredded paper in a clear plastic bag before putting it in your recycling bin.
- Bag plastic bags together in a clear plastic bag before putting them in your recycling bin.
- All other recyclables should be placed loose (unbagged) in your recycling bin.
- Never put medical, food, pet, or human waste in the recycling bin.
- Electronics, hazardous waste, Styrofoam, ceramics, porcelain, toys, clothing, and garden hoses do not belong in the recycling bin.
For more information about recycling in our region, please visit www.siouxfalls.org/recycle.