Railyard Sale Announcement
The media is invited to a press conference announcing the first development agreement in the downtown railyard.
||Monday, July 16, at 10 a.m.
|Where:||Downtown railyard on the south side of Eighth Street. Parking is available on the east side of the 8th and Railroad Center.|
Mayor Paul TenHaken, City Planning and Development Services Director Mike Cooper, and the developer group will participate in the conference and be available for questions. A secure site will be provided to the media with artwork renderings of the parcel and drone footage of the site area.
The City Council will be presented with detailed information on the parcel sale at the informational meeting on Tuesday, July 17, at 4 p.m.
Railyard Redevelopment Project Milestones:
- July 2005: U.S. Senators Tim Johnson and John Thune secure an appropriation in the SAFETEA-LU for the land purchase and track removal of the BNSF Railway switching yard on the east bank of downtown Sioux Falls. The act is signed into law by President George W. Bush on August 10, 2005.
- January 2013: The City and BNSF sign a memorandum of understanding outlining the general terms of acquiring the railyard property.
- August 2015: The City and BNSF sign a land purchase agreement for the property.
- November 2015: The City closes on the purchase of the railyard property. This action triggers a two-year lease for BNSF to occupy the property while completing construction of a new rail switchyard, modifying their operations.
- January 2017: The City posts a request for qualifications (RFQ) to solicit interested developers to submit their qualifications.
- April 2017: Developers who meet the minimum requirements in the RFQ are notified and asked to submit proposals for redevelopment of the railyard property.
- November 2017: BNSF completes construction of their siding tracks along Rice Street and the connecting track downtown. Their lease on the railyard property expires, and the City gains full ownership of the land.
If an ADA accommodation is needed, please contact the Human Relations Office at 605-367-8745 or email@example.com.