I-229/26th Street, Southeastern Avenue Reconstruction Projects
- The last construction update was November 27, 2019.
- Over the winter, the contractor removed trees along Southeastern Avenue and installed a 6’ round drainage pipe under the railroad tracks.
- Starting in March, the bridge contractor has been preparing the bridge over the river for concrete decking.
- Work on the new bridge will continue throughout April.
Commuter Route Information
- Traffic remains the same as throughout the winter with one lane of traffic on 26th Street in each direction.
- Southeastern Avenue remains closed south of 26th Street and open north of 26th Street.
- Traffic conditions will not change until May.
2020 Project Milestones
- Begin construction of the bridge deck over the Big Sioux River
- Complete service road and connections onto Southeastern Ave to the south of 26th St
- Move traffic to the south side of 26th St
- Demolition of the north portion of the 26th St bridge over the Big Sioux River
- Construction of the piers
- Complete tie in work of the bridge over I-229
- Complete grading of 26th St near Rotary Park
- Utility installation on Southeastern Ave north of 26th St
- Construction of Southeastern Ave north of 26th St
- Open to traffic
March 6: Public Open House
26th & Cleveland
Completion Date: July 2021
Contract Amount: $38,000,000
This project will construct new on and off ramps from 26th St to I-229, realignment of Yeager Road and the construction of a new bridge over the Big Sioux River and the BNSF Railway. Installation of new watermain, sanitary and storm sewer, new street lights and traffic signals.
City of Sioux Falls