There are many benefits that come with being a Sioux Falls police officer, and any one of the 200 plus officers currently on our department can attest to this fact. We seek out the most qualified men and women to serve as police officers and we offer a very competitive pay and benefits package to those individuals who successfully complete the hiring process.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age at the time of interview, and no greater than 44 years of age at the time of interview.
Associate’s degree or at least 60 semester hours of college credits from an accredited institution; or two years of certified law enforcement experience; or two years of military experience; or any such combination of education, experience, and training as may be acceptable to the hiring authority.
- Has not unlawfully used any prescribed drug, controlled substance, or marijuana within one year before the time of application for certification.
- Must have no convictions of any crime by any state or federal government punishable by imprisonment in a federal or state penitentiary.
- Must possess or be able to obtain prior to hire a valid driver’s license.
- Must have vision correctable to at least 20/40 in each eye. Must recognize and distinguish among the colors of traffic control signals and devices showing standard red, green, and amber.
- Must have hearing in which able to hear forced whispered voice in the better ear at not less than 5 feet with or without the use of a hearing aid, or does not have an average hearing loss in the better ear greater than 40 decibels at 500, 1,000, and 2,000 Hz with or without a hearing aid.
- Applicant must pass all phases of the hiring process designated by the Rules of Civil Service Board.
- Apply online!
- Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to interview. Interviews are offered monthly.
- Candidates who receive a passing score on the interview will receive a contingent job offer.
- After contingent job offer, candidates may go through the following screenings: psychological evaluation, background investigation, polygraph examination, medical examination.
- Candidates who do not successfully complete any phase of the hiring process are eligible to reapply for Police Officer after one year.