Information and Guidance for Individuals and Families
Information About COVID-19
The Health Department has partnered with local, state and federal response agencies to ensure a level of preparedness for the community. The virus that causes COVID-19 is transmitted similar to the virus that causes influenza. We encourage everyone to practice good respiratory hygiene, which includes: proper handwashing, covering your cough, and staying home if you are ill.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offers guidance on a number of COVID-19 related topics:
- Holiday Celebrations
- COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Destination
- Coronavirus Testing Basics
- When and How to Wash Your Hands
- Risk/Benefits of Social Activities
- Considerations for Travelers—Coronavirus in the US
- Pet Guidance
- Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19
- Cleaning and disinfecting Your Home
- Social Distancing, Quarantine and Isolation
- People Who Need to Take Extra Precaution
Postal ServiceThe Unites States Postal Service has provided information on their efforts to reduce health risks for employees and customers and to safeguard our operational and business continuity. Information on their efforts can be found at USPS.com.
Mosquitoes and Ticks
At this time, CDC has no data to suggest that this new coronavirus or other similar coronaviruses are spread by mosquitoes or ticks. The main way that COVID-19 spreads is from person to person. See How Coronavirus Spreads for more information. The World Health Organization has established a resource to provide advice for the public on COVID-19 myths.
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: Myth busters page.
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) offers tips for taking care of your behavioral Health during quarantine.
Tips For Social Distancing, Quarantine, And Isolation During An Infectious Disease Outbreak.
- Food Safety and CoVID-19 (SDSU Extension Office)
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Your Home
- South Dakota specific information on COVID-19
- Closings and cancellations
The Multi-Cultural Center of Sioux Falls has translated information about COVID-19 into 11 different language. Translations are on the Multi-Cultural Center website