8th Street Bridge Rehabilitation and Greenway Improvements
Project Update 2/26/2020
- Construction will be starting in the middle of March, the exact date has not been determined.
- A public open house is scheduled for Friday, March 6th from 5 to 6 p.m. at the Main Library in downtown Sioux Falls. There will be no formal presentation. Please come and ask questions about the project and visit with the Contractor.
- Road and bike trail closures and detours begin
- Removals of the surfacing work
- Private utility relocation
- Construction of bridge access roads and cofferdams
- Bridge fill removal
- Bridge rehabilitation improvements
- Concrete repairs along 8th Street
- Private utility placement
- Bridge fill placement
- Open roadway
- Greenway and bike trail improvements
- Final project completion
Commuter Route Information:
- Once construction begins the 8th St bridge will be closed to both pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- The bike path under the bridge will also be closed under both the east and west ends of the bridge. Please use the designated detour route.
- Vehicular detour routes include Phillips Ave, 6th St, and Weber Ave or Main Ave, 11th St, and Franklin Ave.
- Pedestrian detour route includes Phillips Ave, 9th St, crossing the river on the pedestrian bridge then through Hilton Garden Inn path which connects to the bike path.
Meeting Date: 11/11/2019
Detour Routes for Overall Traffic Control
Final completion of work is August 28, 2021
This project includes rehabilitation of the 8th Street bridge, watermain replacement, alley and Greenway improvements, sidewalk improvements, bridge lighting and construction of concrete street surfacing and concrete patching.
City of Sioux Falls
Infrastructure Design Group