Events on City Property
Special Event Reservation Information
Definition of a Special Event:
Any of the following activities involving 25 or more persons, animals or vehicles, or a combination thereof, open to the general public taking place on public space that involves a temporary and exclusive use of public space involving a substantial deviation from current legal land use or legal nonconforming use and may include, but not be limited to:
- Amusements or carnivals
- Music by way of sound amplification
- Dramatic or theatrical productions
- Runs, walks, triathlons and bicycle races or rides that will not comply with the normal or usual traffic regulations or controls or are likely to impede, obstruct, impair or interfere with free flow of traffic
- Any activity involving the sale of merchandise, food or alcohol
- Any activity making use of structures not already present on the public space such as stages, booths, canopies, awnings, risers, bleachers, fences, partitions, stands or similar constructions
- Any activity taking place on public space that may require for its successful execution city services to a degree significantly over and above that routinely provided under ordinary circumstances, as determined by the special events committee
Procedure for Scheduling a Special Event:
- Event sponsor submits a Special Event application packet and applicable fees no later than 90 days before event. This application packet can be downloaded or a request can be made to have it mailed to the event sponsor.
- Special Events Coordinator determines if the event should be designated as a Special Event.
- If the event is endorsed, applicants will be required to attend an event review meeting with the Special Event Committee one to three months prior to the event to finalize the logistics of the event.
- Event Sponsor sends final event information to Park Office a minimum of three weeks prior to the event.
Special Event Review Committee:
- Parks and Recreation staff
- Police Department representative
- Risk Management representative
- Health Department representative
- Fire Rescue representative
- Human Relations representative
- Facilities Management representative
- Planning/Building Services representative
- Downtown Sioux Falls representative