Home Healthcare Needle Disposal Program
What Is the Home Healthcare Needle Disposal Program?
Many community residents have medical conditions that require self-injections at home. Because of issues regarding safety and disease transmission, the disposal of home-generated needles, syringes and lancets (or "sharps") has caused some concern on the part of families, refuse services, recycling facilities and landfills.
Responding to this growing concern, The Sioux Falls Public Works, Environmental Division sponsors free Sharps Drop-off locations at a variety of locations throughout Sioux Falls.*
How Does the Program Work?FREE sharps containers can be picked up at:
Lewis Drug Pharmacies
- All Sioux Falls Lewis Drug Locations, including Sanford Hospital (Medical Building 2), and Sanford Clinic (69th Street and Minnesota Avenue)
- Lewis Drug Stores in Brandon, Canton, Dell Rapids, Madison, Lennox, Viborg, and Tea
- All Sioux Falls Hy-Vee Locations
- All Sioux Falls Walgreens Locations
When your container is full, return it to the location you received it and another empty container will be given to you.
- Put only needles, syringes, lancets, and transdermal patches into the disposal container.
- Tightly seal the lid prior to disposal.
- Give directly to the pharmacy attendant.
- Receive a new FREE container.
- DO NOT use unapproved containers.
- DO NOT throw container in garbage.
- DO NOT add bleach or chlorine.
Who Can Participate?
The Sharps Disposal Program is available to any Minnehaha, Lake, Lincoln, McCook or Turner County resident who uses needles, syringes, lancets, or other sharps in their home.
*This program is for residential use only, businesses can contact the Environmental Division for disposal options.
Questions regarding the needle disposal program can be directed to the Sioux Falls Environmental Division at 367-8276.