Sioux Falls Green Business Program
The City of Sioux Falls is offering a voluntary recognition program which is designed to educate and encourage local businesses and organizations to prioritize sustainability and environmental initiatives.
Businesses can apply to become a Certified Green Business through the City of Sioux Falls. Businesses will complete a certification checklist and must obtain a minimum number of points in each of the core categories. The core categories and examples of eligible points are listed in the chart below. Once a business has completed the certification checklist, the City will perform an audit to verify the points. Upon completion of the audit, the business will receive a certificate and window cling from the City. Businesses will need to be recertified annually.
To apply to become a Certified Green Business, please contact Jessica Lantgen, Sustainability Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. A Certification Checklist and Guide can be found under Division Resources.
BENEFITS TO THE BUSINESS:
• Free technical assistance from the City of Sioux Falls to support and improve efficiencies.
• Align business with customer base and attract new customers.
• Reduced energy/water consumption, reduced waste production.
• Marketing benefits and increased public awareness.
• Opportunity to be recognized as a leader in the community.
BENEFITS TO THE CITY:
• Broadens audience base beyond residential initiatives.
• Environmental benefits to the community.
• Meets Sustainability Master Plan goal.
Program Categories and Point Examples
|Mandatory General Standards
• Per ordinance 57.028 businesses are required to recycle paper, cans, plastic bottles, tubs and jugs
•Encourage your customers to use reusable bags with an incentive
|Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
•Buy products in bulk
•Purchase environmentally-friendly cleaning products
•Use occupancy sensors
•Complete regularly scheduled maintenance on your HVAC system
•Replace toilets flushing at higher than 1.6 gallons with high-efficiency toilets
•Keep dumpsters covered when not in use
•Purchase hazardous items in small quantities
•Encourage/promote volunteer activities
•Offer employee appreciation events/opportunities
•Provide bike parking for employees
•Offer in-house information about bus routes