Fall Is Officially Here! Leaf and Branch Drop-Offs Open Saturday
Beginning this Saturday, September 29, 2018, the City of Sioux Falls will open its two leaf and branch drop-off sites to assist with fall cleanup. The two leaf and branch drop-off sites are located at:
- 1015 East Chambers Street, west of Cliff Avenue by the Household Hazardous Waste Facility and Public Works Street Division. Access is available from North Drive to East Ash Street to Chambers Street, and from North Cliff Avenue to Chambers Street. The driveway just north of the Household Hazardous Waste Facility is the only access point.
- 100 North Lyon Boulevard, west of the W.H. Lyon Fairgrounds. Access is available from West 12th Street to North Lyon Boulevard, and from West Madison Street to North Lyon Boulevard. The driveway north of the railroad crossing is the only access point.
The drop-off sites will be open from Saturday, September 29, through Sunday, November 25 (closed Thanksgiving Day). Hours of operation are:
- Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday, 12 noon to 5 p.m.
There will be no charge for cars, pickups, full-size SUVs, vans, or two-wheel trailers. Larger loads, lawn service companies, and commercial businesses will not be accepted at the temporary drop-off sites and must go directly to the Sioux Falls Regional Sanitary Landfill.
Branches must be placed in a pile separate from leaves. Leaves must be removed from plastic bags. All loads must be tarped or in an enclosed vehicle while en route to the drop-off sites or landfill. Plastic bags, large trees, stumps, rubble, and household garbage are not accepted. Grass-only loads will need to go directly to the landfill.
The leaves deposited at the drop-off sites are composted at the landfill through the yard waste program. Compost is available for free for residents to pick up at the landfill year-round. Pumpkins will also be accepted at the leaf and branch drop-off sites. Make sure all decorations, plastic, etc., are removed from the pumpkins before discarding.
The City appreciates the efforts put in by individuals and businesses to keep Sioux Falls clean and beautiful. Below are some fall tips for cleanup and property maintenance:
- Clean the gutters on your roof for proper drainage around your home and to reduce foundation and water problems in the spring.
- Do not rake or blow leaves into the street. City ordinance does not allow any items or material to be placed into the street and that includes items such as leaves and snow.
- Remove leaves and clutter from the curbs and gutters in front of your home. Removing leaves and other items from the gutters helps maintain storm drainageways. Leaves otherwise can clog storm grates, creating conditions that increase chances of neighborhood flooding. By keeping leaves out of the gutters, storm grates stay open and neighborhoods are more prepared for rain events and the spring snowmelt.
- Be a good neighbor and steward of the environment by properly collecting and disposing of leaves. If one of your neighbors needs help raking leaves this fall, see if your neighborhood can come together and provide some assistance.
General information regarding the Landfill, including hours of operation, rates, and materials accepted, is located at www.siouxfalls.org/landfill or call 605-367-8162.