2018 Big Sioux River Greenway Cleanup: Save the Date!
The City of Sioux Falls will host the fifth annual communitywide Big Sioux River Greenway Cleanup on Saturday, April 21, 2018, from 9 a.m. to 12 noon in honor of Earth Day. No pre-event registration is required, and all ages are welcome. During the 2017 event, more than 6,500 pounds of trash was removed from the banks of the Big Sioux River.
Volunteers can choose which areas of the Big Sioux River Greenway they’d like to help clean up. Volunteer coordinators will be stationed at nine different park locations. Gloves, maps, and trash bags will be provided. The following areas have been selected as meeting areas:
- Elmen Park Trailhead—3200 West 12th Street
- Falls Park—131 East Falls Park Drive
- Fawick Park—200 South Second Avenue
- Rotary Park—2101 East 18th Street
- Spencer Park—3501 South Cliff Avenue
- Yankton Trail Park—3901 South Minnesota Avenue
- Dunham Park—1301 South Marion Road
- Legacy Park—7001 West 12th Street
- Sertoma Park—4300 South Oxbow Avenue
The City of Sioux Falls extends a special thank-you to the following organizations for helping with this year’s event: Confluence, Health Management Partners of South Dakota, Smithfield, Howalt + McDowell Insurance/Sioux Steel Company, Sierra Club, HDR, US Bank, FedEx, and South Dakota Canoe & Kayak Association. Special thanks to Nyberg’s Ace Hardware for donating the supplies for the event.
For more information about the Big Sioux River Greenway Cleanup, please contact Matthew Gedney in the Public Works Environmental Division at 605-367-8280 or visit www.siouxfalls.org/green.