Celebrate America Recycles Day on November 15!
America Recycles Day is a nationally recognized community-driven awareness campaign dedicated to promoting and celebrating recycling in the United States. The annual event has taken place on November 15 since 1997.
The City of Sioux Falls invites you to celebrate recycling on this day and every day. Recycling helps our local economy, protects our natural resources, and saves precious airspace in the Sioux Falls Regional Sanitary Landfill. In 2016, more than 94 million pounds of material was processed by our local recycling facilities!
“America Recycles Day offers an opportunity for us to thank the public for doing such a great job at recycling everything they can. It’s also a great time to brush up on your recycling knowledge by reviewing our recycling guidelines,” states Sustainability Coordinator Jessica Sexe.
• Only recycle cans made of steel, tin, and aluminum; plastic bottles, tubs, and jugs; clean cardboard and cartons; glass bottles and jars; and paper.
• Bag shredded paper in a clear, plastic bag before placing it in your recycling bin.
• Bag plastic bags together in a clear, plastic bag before putting them in your recycling bin.
• All other recyclables should be placed loose (unbagged) in your recycling bin.
• Never put medical, food, pet, or human waste in the recycling bin.
• Electronics, hazardous waste, Styrofoam, ceramics, porcelain, toys, clothing, and garden hoses do not belong in the recycling bin.
Recycling properly helps processing facilities recover more recyclables. Some unacceptable items can cause safety and health risks for employees and waste haulers. They can also cause serious damage to the recycling facility equipment. To learn more about recycling and how to properly dispose of materials, visit www.siouxfalls.org/recycle.
To commemorate America Recycles Day, City of Sioux Falls staff as well as the Solid Waste Planning Board special task force and members from the nonprofit group Ecomaniacs will be at the South Minnesota Avenue HyVee with recycling games, information, and free reusable grocery bags made from recycled plastic bottles on Wednesday, November 15, 2017, from 3 to 6 p.m.
To learn more about recycling in our area, please visit www.siouxfalls.org/recycle.