Related

Structure Fire at 1812 South Grange Avenue

Early Wednesday morning, March 22, 2017, at approximately 3:20 a.m., Sioux Falls Fire Rescue responded to a reported structure fire at 1812 South Grange Avenue.

First-arriving crews reported heavy smoke coming from the attic of the home. Upon entry, fire crews conducted a quick search of the main floor to confirm the structure was unoccupied. Fire was found in the bathroom on the main level and in the basement. Fire crews had the main body of the fire controlled in approximately 15 minutes. The home did suffer moderate fire and smoke damage.

Crews remained on scene for an additional two hours to complete overhaul and ventilation operations, ensuring all hot spots had been extinguished and that all the smoke was removed from the home. There were no injuries reported at this incident.

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue responded with 4 fire trucks, 2 support vehicles, and 17 firefighters. The home did not have a residential sprinkler system. Fire Inspector Tyler Tjeerdsma has concluded his investigation. The cause of the fire has been determined to come from plumbing/soldering work in the basement. Sioux Falls Fire Rescue was assisted on scene by the Sioux Falls Police Department, Paramedics Plus Ambulance, Xcel Energy, and MidAmerican Energy.

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue would like to remind residents to test your smoke detectors monthly, check the detectors’ expiration dates, and change the batteries when you change your clocks.

For more information from Sioux Falls Fire Rescue, visit www.siouxfalls.org/fire or follow us on facebook.com/siouxfallsfire or twitter.com/siouxfallsfire.