Snow Removal Operational Update
Snow removal efforts are underway across the city and will continue through Tuesday. City of Sioux Falls snow removal crews worked to prepare emergency snow routes and streets around schools as much as possible for the morning commute.
“At any one time, we have 120 pieces of equipment out on the streets working to remove snow and create a safe driving surface,” says Mark Cotter, Director of Public Works. “We will continue working 12-hour shifts, around the clock, until the city is cleaned up.”
Additional snow fell overnight, which kept snow removal teams on emergency routes until about 6 a.m. Monday. Because of the amount and consistency of this snow, it will take approximately 30 hours to complete the plowing of all streets. All streets should be plowed by early afternoon Tuesday.
Additional snow removal notes:
• All vehicles parked in Zone 3 and north/south streets in Zone 2 are subject to ticketing and towing until all lanes have been plowed.
• Plowing of east/west streets in Zone 2 will begin this evening at 8 p.m. and will require all vehicles be removed from the street.
• Snow pickup operations in Zone 1 will begin at 1 a.m. on Tuesday. Vehicles parked in Zone 1 will be subject to ticketing and towing between the hours of 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. on Tuesday.
• Snow gates are used citywide during snow alerts.
• Don’t wait. Shovel within 48. Residents have 48 hours from the end of a weather event to remove snow and ice from sidewalks. Failure to clear sidewalks will result in citations and other costs to the property owner. Call 978-6900 during normal business hours, or leave a voice message after hours or on weekends, to report violations.
If you have questions regarding snow removal, call the Public Works Street Division at