Take Caution With Pets During July 4th Activities

Pet owners should take extra caution with their pets during 4th of July activities. If possible, leave your pet inside and safe at home. Crowded, unfamiliar, and noisy fireworks displays may be fun for the humans in your family, but they are often scary for pets.

July 5 is one of the busiest days of the year for Sioux Falls Animal Control. Many pets are scared by fireworks, and they run off to find safety. If a pet becomes scared from fireworks, there is a greater chance that pet may bite someone. Pets that run away are in danger of being hit by cars, getting into fights with other pets or wild animals, and possibly never being found.

Fireworks can burn a pet’s face or paws, and fireworks contain toxic substances that can make your pet sick if eaten. Barbeque items like charcoal and kabob skewers also can be dangerous items to pets. Novelty items like glow sticks are dangerous to pets if ingested as well. While your pet is outside, make sure your pet has shade and plenty of water to avoid overheating.

To assist in the event your pet runs away, make sure your pet wears its City license. Another way to ensure your missing pet returns home quickly is by getting a microchip and I.D. tag for the pet. If you have moved or changed your phone number since microchipping your pet, make sure to call the chip company and let them know your new contact information.

If you are missing a pet or find a lost pet, please call Animal Control at 367-7000.