The Planning Commission serves as an advisory board to the City Council. The Commission creates and adopts a master plan for the physical development of the municipality, and considers and makes recommendations on land use and zoning matters.
The currently adopted comprehensive plan for Sioux Falls is Shape Sioux Falls 2035. Shape Sioux Falls was adopted during the winter of 2009. This comprehensive plan went through a two-year public involvement process of workshops, visioning surveys, and policy discussions.
Number of Members
Knowledge or experience to act in matters pertaining to the development administration of a city plan, and who shall not hold any elective office in the city government.
Residency/Registered Voter Requirement
Must be a resident and registered voter of Sioux Falls.
Summary of Duties
Create and adopt a master plan for the physical development of the municipality, and consider and make recommendations on land use and zoning matters.
Chief Planning and Zoning Official
Planning and Building Services
City Hall, Ground Floor
224 West Ninth Street
P.O. Box 7402
Sioux Falls, SD 57117-7402
- Planning Commission Agendas, Minutes, and Videos
- Planning Commission Meeting Schedule and Application Deadlines
- Commission Members
- Application Filing Fees
- Pre-Application Meeting Requests
- Application Items Received to Date
- Application Information and Forms
- Special Reports/Exhibits
- Online Application for Appointment
- Application for Appointment
- Joint Jurisdictional Boundary