Fire Rescue Employment
There are many benefits that come with being a Sioux Falls Firefighter. We seek out the most qualified men and women to serve as firefighters and offer a very competitive pay and benefits package to those individuals who successfully complete the hiring process.
To learn more about employment with Sioux Falls Fire Rescue, click any of the following links:
Firefighters must annually pass the Individual Physical Ability Test (IPAT).
Graduation from high school or GED certification, or any such combination of education, experience, and training as may be acceptable to the hiring authority.
Must possess or be able to obtain, prior to hire, a valid driver’s license.
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age at the time of the entrance civil service examination, and no greater than 44 years of age at the time of the entrance civil service examination.
Vision must be correctable to at least 20/30 in each eye.
Must be a nonsmoker.
Applicant must pass all phases of the hiring process designated by the Rules of the Civil Service Board.
Must possess or be able to obtain, National Registry or South Dakota Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification within one year of hire.
- Sioux Falls Fire Rescues holds an entrance examination for firefighter bi-annually
- Written Civil Service Examination administered. Applicant must have a passing score to move to the Individual Physical Ability Test (IPAT).
- Individual Physical Ability Test (IPAT) administered. Applicant must pass the IPAT in order to progress.
- Candidates may move on to the next steps in the hiring process pending their examination score and the number of vacancies available.
- Oral interview conducted. Applicant must have a passing score on the Oral Interview to progress.
- Conditional job offers will be made by Human Resources based on available positions. After a conditional job offer, candidates will go through the following screenings: psychological evaluation, background check, medical examination.
- All applicants who are selected for hiring must successfully complete a recruit training program at the Fire Department Training Academy. The Recruit Academy lasts thirteen weeks. Those who successfully complete the recruit training program are placed in the field as probationary firefighters for the reminder of their 12-month probationary period. During the probationary period, an on-going structured training program will be provided, along with monthly performance evaluations.